Thursday, January 17, 2008

Me like correct grammar

Disclaimer: My grammar and spelling ain't perfect.

I think the incorrect use of the pronouns "me" and "I" is the grammatical equivalent of scraping fingernails on the chalkboard. There is a very simple rule for getting it right. To ensure you've chosen the right pronoun, remove the other subject from the sentence.

"Please send a post card to the the kids and I." [wrong]
"Please send a post card to the the kids and me."

"My wife and me went to a wedding in November." [wrong]
"My wife and I
went to a wedding in November."

If the sentence is correct with one subject (me or I), it should be correct when you add the other subject. I suspect, like many English grammar rules, this trick will work in most but not all cases.

No comments:

Post a Comment